There is plenty that goes into crafting the perfect song, including using the right instruments, creating an alluring rhythm and melody and writing lyrics that match the song’s atmosphere.
But what about when it comes to listening to songs? What components of a headphone set make listening to a song even more pleasurable?
First of all, there seems to be an endless amount of headphones out there that claim to provide the perfect listening sound for you to become fully immersed in music.
There is certainly a large amount of different headphone technology as well, including noise-canceling, Bluetooth, in-ear, earbuds, over-ear, on-ear….really, this list goes on and on.
How do you know when you have found a pair of headphones that really gives you the absolute best listening experience?
One famous brand of headphone technology (among many other types of technology) is Sony. The company’s roots go all the way back to Japan in the 1940s, shortly after World War II.
Since its inception nearly 80 years ago, Sony’s brand has invented technology that has become a staple of consumer, company and industrial electronics. They continue to thrive to this day, consistently inventing and innovating with every year.
One part of the technology that it has mastered is headphones.
Sony MDR7506: The Perfect balance of highs, lows, and bass?
And that is where the Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone comes into play.
These closed-ear headphones have a 40mm driver unit for high quality and expansive sound.
Moreover, the Sony MDR7506 contains Neodymium magnets that drive out any outside noise so the listener can fully become immersed in a song’s components.
On a technical level, the headphones sit at 10-20kHz frequency response, 63 Ohms impedance, 106 dB/W/m sensitivity and 1,000mW power handling. Even better? This pair of headphones are foldable for easy transportation in a case provided with the purchase of the pair.
While Sony markets this headphone model as the perfect pair for professional studio recording, radio and tv and film production, plenty of regular music listeners have fallen in love with the model as well.
Even so, as usual, there are pros and cons to the Sony MDR7506, which we will explore.
What is GOOD about the Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone?
There is plenty good to be said about this pair of professional headphones, specifically when it comes to sound, the most important part of any headphone set. It also doesn’t hurt that this pair of headphones is good for professionals and regular music fans alike.
- A much-desired flat sound: One of the most sought-after aspects of any quality pair of headphones is a ‘flat sound,’ or the ability to hear both ‘highs’ and ‘lows’ with the right amount of bass. This pair of headphones manage to have a perfect balance, a necessity for any professional and a huge bonus for music fans.
- Listen to music like a professional: Speaking of professionals, these headphones definitely fit the marketing campaign Sony set out. Listeners can hear every nuanced sound and discover aspects of a song that they can’t with regular earphones, making their music listening experience even more incredible.
- Complete noise cancellation: The closed-ear format of these headphones make for complete noise-cancellation of any exterior sound that may be nearby. As science explains, noise-canceling headphones work by making use of phase cancellation and manipulating sound waves. These headphones have achieved this task without sacrificing any comfort, a rarity among many headphones.
- Exceptionally durable: As mentioned previously, these headphones are easily foldable for transport. Fortunately, they do not suffer as a result of it and remain durable and long-lasting as compared to other, similar headphones. A common complaint with other headphones is that they remain stiff or easily break if folded, but fortunately, that is not the risk here.
- Good for industry legends and regular music fans: While ‘studio headphones’ may sound intimidating to some regular music fans, these headphones are super easy to set up and use with no tech-savviness required so all intimidation goes away!
KEY TAKEAWAY: Both professionals and non-professionals will fall in love with these headphones, thanks to their incomparable sound, ease-of-use and durability.
A Couple of Other Things to Consider
With such a heavy-duty set of headphones, it is understandable that these won’t be a great fit for everyone. Specifically, the size and shape of the headphones have led to comfort issues, as listed below:
- Comfort issues: Perhaps the biggest complaint by reviewers of this pair of headphones is the issue of comfort, specifically with the ear pads. Many listeners have complained that the ear pads are improperly places, too tight or even too loose. This led to pain or discomfort after just 20 or 30 minutes of use, which led to many consumers coming up with at-home remedies such as placing a cloth between the ear pad and ear. Other organizations have come up with other alternatives, including making sure the headphones are properly positioned and not worn for excessively long periods. Following these three suggestions will help greatly with any potential pain.
- Heavy wire: In the age of wireless technology, many potential customers may be turned off by the 9-foot cord length of these headphones. Some individuals who purchased the headphones complained of the wire becoming snagged and causing them to slip off their heads. The cord that comes with these headphones is ideal for recording, which is why they are often marketed towards professionals.
- Not good for summer days: Since these headphones are heavy-duty, they haven’t been ideal for those in hot climates or even those taking crowded public transportation, causing a lot of sweat to develop. This sweat is not only unpleasant, but it can also lead to further problems with the headphones themselves. On the other hand, they are great for keeping warm for the winter!
- Quality complaints: There were some complaints of certain parts of the headphones having quality problems, such as the headband becoming easily broken or a loose jack. This has led to customers returning the product or wanting a refund, but fortunately, Sony has complied.
- Only good for studios: Finally, some customers believe that these headphones are a better fit for studios rather than at-home listening, even if they are easy to use. In this case, customers may want to opt for smaller headphones or earphones instead to better suit their needs.
KEY TAKEAWAY: Yes, no pair of headphones is perfect, including the Sony MDR7506 model. Quality complaints have arisen, making this model not preferable for those who want something light and wireless.
So, what’s the verdict?
The Sony MDR7506 is no doubt a high-quality and much-loved pair of headphones.
In fact, the pair of headphones has garnered over 12,000 reviews on Amazon, maintaining an average of 4.5 stars.
Those wanting to be fully immersed in the music they listen to should opt for these headphones, and, even better, they can do so at an incredible price compared to their competitors at just $88. Other headphones run at up to $400!
Though discomfort issues have arisen for others, the pair of headphones can be easily adjusted for good use.
In the end, these headphones prove why Sony remains a classic among music professionals and fans alike!