When it comes to perfecting the chords on your guitar, it can be tricky having to play them lower down on the fretboard. This can cause you to strain your hand depending on the chords that you are trying to play.
But you need to play on the lower frets in order to get the right tone for the piece that you are trying to play. So how can you work around the problem?
This is where a capo can come in handy. This is a small device that you can attach towards the top of your guitar’s neck, which can then alter the tone of your guitar.
It means you can play those tricky chords further up the neck of the guitar, meaning less strain for your poor hands. But with so many different types of capo on the market, how can you be sure that you’ve found the best guitar capo?
We’ve done all of the hard work so that you don’t have to! We’ve researched and reviewed over 50 different guitar capos to find the very best that the market has to offer.
So you can rest assured that you’ve found the best guitar capo for your acoustic guitar or electric guitar if you opt for one of the great products that I have reviewed in more detail below. So let’s take a look at the best guitar capos!
Our Best Guitar Capo
The Kyser Quick-Change Capo easily came out on top out of all the capos that I reviewed.
This particular capo comes with a range of great features that will make it ideal for a variety of musicians, regardless of their experience. This particular capo can be used with a wide range of guitars and playing styles.
One of the best things about this capo is the fact it comes in a range of different colors. So you can easily choose the color that best suits your personal style.
You can match it to the color of your guitar, or even choose a contrasting color to show some personal flare.
What I really loved about this capo when I tested it was how easy it is to use. It features a one handed quick change design.
So you can easily adjust the capo to suit your needs while you play your instrument. It will save you from having to fuss around with the capo to get the sound that you’re after.
Another handy feature of this capo was how durable it is. It has been manufactured using high quality materials so as to last you for many years to come. This particular capo has been constructed to meet a professional standard to ensure that it will last you even longer.
- Multiple colors – available in a whopping 21 colors
- Easy to use – suitable for use with one hand for easier usability
- Durable – constructed to a professional standard to last you for many years to come
- Stiff spring – can be stiff depending on how new the product is
- The original one-handed Quick-Change capo
- Strong, lightweight aluminum with steel spring
- Professional quality
- Parks on the guitar's headstock when not in use
- Made in USA and guaranteed for life
When it comes to capos, the D’Addario NS Tri-Action Capo is often considered to be the creme de la creme. This particular capo has been designed with quality in mind so that it will last you for many years to come.
It features aircraft grade aluminum so as to be heavy duty and cope with whatever you have to throw at this capo.
What I really loved about this guitar capo was how easy it was to use. You can easily use a single hand to attach this capo to the neck of your guitar and adjust the tension as needed.
When you’ve finished using the D’Addario capo, you can simply attach it to the headstock of your guitar so that you can keep it all in one place.
Another factor that I loved was that this capo works to give you the perfect tension.
It makes use of tri-action geometry so as to make the capo easier to operate. The tension will be the perfect amount for playing without risking damage to the neck of your guitar.
One of the best things about this capo was how versatile it was.
Not only can you use it to play a variety of guitar styles, you can also use the integrated pick holder to keep your guitar pick at the ready when you use a fingerstyle.
- Perfect tension – designed to give you the perfect tension on both electric and acoustic guitars
- Easy to use – features a super easy to use Tri-Action system with a handy pick holder
- Durable – constructed using high quality materials to last you for many years to come
- Larger – some customers felt this capo was on the larger side
- TUNED IN: Designed for use on 6-string electric and acoustic guitars, the micrometer tension adjustment on the black Tri-Action Capo ensures the proper force is being applied to the neck of the guitar for buzz-free, in-tune performance at any fret.
- TRI-ACTION GEOMETRY: Tri-Action geometry reduces the force required to open and close the capo and applies even tension regardless of neck profile.
- EASY TO OPERATE: The single hand, easy to operate Tri-Action Capo clamps to the headstock when not in use. An integrated pick holder stores your pick in a convenient location when playing fingerstyle.
- STRONG CONSTRUCTION: The NS Tri-Action Capo is constructed from aircraft grade aluminum making it rugged enough to take a beating, but very lightweight on the fretboard. It adds negligible weight to the neck of the instrument.
- D’ADDARIO ACCESSORIES: For over 20 years, D’Addario Accessories (formerly Planet Waves) has been leading the industry in innovative and problem-solving products that serve musicians worldwide.
Is budget your main concern? Then you should opt for the WINGO Guitar Capo. This particular capo is available at a competitive price.
So you won’t have to worry about spending a small fortune in order to get a functional capo. This particular capo also comes with 5 picks so as to give you better value for your money.
You won’t have to worry about buying a capo that is too complicated to use with the WINGO Guitar Capo.
It features a quick release system so as to make it even easier for you to use. So you will be able to easily adjust the capo on your guitar as you need to.
One of the best things about this capo is how versatile it is. You can use this particular capo with a wide variety of instruments. It can be used for both acoustic and electric guitars, as well as mandolins, banjos, or ukuleles.
This will be ideal if you like to play a variety of instruments and want to get more bang for your buck. There will also be no buzz on your strings when you use this capo, which will be ideal for more tonal accuracy.
There’s no need to worry about this capo breaking when you use it.
It has been constructed using high quality aluminum alloy so as to last you for many years to come. There is also a silicone pad included so as to protect the frets and neck of your guitar.
- Budget friendly – available at a more competitive price compared to some capos on our list
- Easy to use – features a quick release system so that you can place it anywhere on your guitar
- Additional accessories – includes 5 medium picks to give you better value for your money
- Spring mechanism – not advised to leave on your guitar for extended periods of time as this can cause the spring to wear out
- ✔︎Quick Release : super easy to clip on guitar and quick to change. It can even change keys during a song,just clamp it and let your song fly.
- ✔︎Versatile: this capo can suit your steel string acoustic and electric guitar ,banjo,mandolin or ukulele well.
- ✔︎No Buzz: perfectly balanced pressure for that clear tone with strong spring.
- ✔︎Well Made: High-Grade aluminum alloy material and much thicker silicone pad protect your guitars from scratches or demage.
- ✔︎What you get: Unique beautiful wood finish capo with 5 medium picks which are shipped by random,might not the same color as the picture,but the same quality and also super beautiful. Rock & Roll with this capo,and it comes with lifetime warranty.
Searching for a high quality capo? Then the GUITARX X Capo should be the top capo of your choice.
This particular capo has been constructed using high quality materials so as to last you for many years to come.
It has been manufactured using a premium zinc alloy, which is highly durable. So you won’t have to worry about this capo breaking after only a few weeks’ use!
A feature that I really loved about this capo when I tested it is the fact that it comes with protection pads.
These are high quality, so will be able to properly protect the neck of your guitar every time you place the capo on your fretboard. This will be ideal for preventing any scratches from damaging your guitar.
One thing that I really loved about this capo was how impressively versatile it was. You can easily use this capo with a wide variety of instruments, including both acoustic and electric guitars.
Another handy feature is that you don’t have to worry about any fret buzz! This capo works to give you the right amount of tension even on steel strings.
It couldn’t be easier to use this capo. Simply adjust using a single hand to make your playing experience even easier. This will be crucial if you rely on your capo while you’re playing gigs and need to make fast changes.
- High quality – manufactured using durable materials to last you for many years to come
- Protection pads – won’t damage your guitar or other instrument
- Versatile – can be used on a wide variety of instruments including acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and bass
- Heavy – some customers felt this capo was on the heavy side
- ✔ BUILT TO LAST: The X capo is made of premium zinc alloy. Perfect for electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, mandolin, ukulele, and banjo.
- ✔ MAKE QUICK CHANGES: Easily slide it between frets to change position. Must-have among guitar gear and accessories. Great gift idea!
- ✔ NO SCRATCHES: High-quality pad protects your instrument against damage.
- ✔ NO FRET BUZZ: Steel spring with internal memory always providing the right amount of tension. The best choice for the beginner or professional musician.
- ✔ HIGH PERFORMANCE: Stays in tune with great intonation in all frets. The #1 acoustic guitar capo. Also for electric guitars, bass, ukulele, banjo and mandolin.
The G7th Performance 3 Capo with ART is arguably the best capo on the market today. This is a high quality capo that will last you for many years to come, so will be a worthy investment.
It does come at a premium price tag, but this is worth it if you want a high quality capo that will last you through the years.
Perhaps the best thing about this capo is that it is super easy to use. You can use a single hand to adjust the capo as you need to. Perfect if you like to use your capo during gigs!
You can easily move this capo between frets without having to worry about retuning your instrument.
A handy feature of this capo is that it comes with Adaptive Radius Technology. So you can easily use it on any type of guitar, regardless of the neck style. Perfect if you enjoy playing a variety of guitars!
I really loved the fact that you can easily adjust the tension of the capo to suit your needs. Perfect if you’re looking for better control of your instrument!
- Adaptive Radius Technology – can be used on any style of guitar
- Unique tension control – gives you better control over the tension you use
- Easy to use – can easily be used with a single hand for easier adjustment
- Expensive – one of the pricier models on the market
- Adaptive Radius Technology - gives you maximum tuning stability by mechanically matching the curvature over the strings in ANY position, on ANY guitar neck (steel string acoustic, electric or hybrid nylon).
- Unique Tension Control - By simply squeezing to attach and squeezing to release, the Performance 3 capo gives you complete and intuitive control over the pressure you place on your strings, meaning you can have confidence that you are in control and will keep your guitar in tune.
- Easy to use - Designed for one-handed use, in any sized hands. With a little practice it's nearly as quick to move between frets as a spring capo, but without the need for frequent retuning.
- Versatile - Perfect for any steel six-string acoustic, electric or hybrid nylon string guitars. Stores easily behind the nut for quick and easy access, or on the headstock.
Searching for the best guitar capo can be a real challenge. There are so many different things that you will need to consider.
If you’re relatively new to playing guitar, this can feel like an overwhelming experience. How are you meant to know which features you should prioritize?
Should you stick with a tried and trusted brand or opt for a more unique capo?
We’ve put together a comprehensive buyer’s guide to give you everything that you need to know about capos.
I want to make sure that you’re making a fully informed decision with all of the crucial information that you need to find the best capo for your needs.
I used the below factors to select the best guitar capos that I have reviewed in more detail above. So as long as you bear the below features in mind, you can rest assured that you have found the best capo for your needs.
Let’s take a look at everything you need to know about capos below, or skip ahead to the frequently asked questions.
Easy To Use
The most important factor that you will need to consider when choosing the best capo for your needs is of course that it is easy to use. There’s no point in selecting a capo that is going to be too complicated for you to use!
By opting for an easy to use model, you will be making your life much easier in the process. And you’ll be able to focus on your technique instead!
I would recommend opting for a capo that uses a quick release system.
This will make it easier to move the capo around your fretboard as you need to. You should also ensure that you can easily adjust the tension of the capo to suit your needs.
The vast majority of models are able to be used single handedly. This will be a lifesaver when you’re trying to play your guitar, as you can simply hold your guitar with one hand and adjust the capo as you need to with the other.
All of these features will dictate how easy your capo is to use. The easier your chosen capo is to use on a daily basis, the easier it will make your practice session.
A factor to bear in mind is that when capos are placed on your guitar neck for long periods of time, they can occasionally damage the frets or the neck itself over time.
So if you opt for a capo that features soft protection pads, you can rest assured that it will be able to protect your guitar even better, all while doing a superb job.
Make sure to choose a capo that features soft padding, as this will be gentler on your guitar. This will be crucial if you tend to leave your capo on the guitar for extended periods of time.
By choosing a capo that comes with protection pads, you can rest assured that it won’t scratch your guitar.
Be mindful of the fact that not all capos come with protection pads.
If this is a feature that you would like to prioritize when choosing your capo, make sure to choose a high quality capo that makes use of high quality materials.
This way you will be able to ensure that you don’t accidentally damage your instrument by buying a cheap capo.
Perhaps the first thing that crosses your mind when it comes to choosing the best capo for your needs is what type of guitar that you like to play. Some guitars will feature a larger, thicker neck.
So you will need to ensure that you choose a capo that is able to accommodate this.
Before you get started, make sure that you opt for a highly versatile capo. This should be able to be used with both acoustic and electric guitars, as well as bass guitars.
The more versatile your capo, the more instruments you will be able to play it with. So if you have a variety of instruments that you enjoy playing, this will be a factor worth considering.
In order to get the best results from your capo, you will need to choose a model that gives you the right tension for your needs. There’s no point in choosing a cheaper, inferior model if it’s not able to give you the proper tension that you need.
Make sure that your capo is able to reach across all of your strings. This will be crucial if you want to be able to play more accurate chords.
Some capos may be too short for your particular guitar, meaning that they’re not able to reach all of your strings. This will of course mean that you’re not able to play as well as you would like to.
So in order to get the best tension that you need, make sure that your capo properly fits onto your guitar of choice.
You will of course want to opt for a capo that will last you for many years to come. So it will be important to opt for a highly durable model that has been built to last.
Take a look at the materials used to construct the capo. Do they appear to be high quality? Has stainless steel been used so that it will be highly durable?
Another factor to consider is the spring of your capo. Sometimes cheaper products won’t last as long, because the spring can’t be held at the same tension for extended periods of time.
If you want to ensure that your capo lasts you long enough to get your money’s worth, ensure that a high quality spring has been used.
Lastly, you will need to consider your particular budget. This will be crucial if you plan to be using your capo a lot. Some guitarists are happy to opt for a fairly cheap model.
However, if you will be using your capo a lot when you play, there’s no guarantee that these cheaper models will be up to the job.
It will be best to weigh up all of your options, and select the best quality capo that you can reasonably afford. We’ve made sure to select a range of capos above to suit every budget.
So you can easily find the best capo for your needs by taking a closer look at the more detailed reviews above.
When in doubt, it’s always better to go with a well established capo brand instead of a cheap brand that no one’s heard of.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Apo Is Best For Acoustic Guitar?
The Best capos for guitar are:
- Kyser Quick-Change Capo
- D’Addario NS Tri-Action Capo
- WINGO Guitar Capo
- GUITARX X Capo
- G7th Performance 3 Capo with ART
How Do I Choose A Guitar Capo?
There are many factors that you will need to consider when it comes to choosing the best guitar capo for your needs. This will include your budget,
Is Capo Bad For Guitar?
This will of course depend on how you use your capo. While it can be handy to use a capo, as this allows you to use 1st position chords, you will need to do so carefully.
If you use your capo too much or in the wrong positions, this could cause the frets to wear down quicker on your guitar. It could also damage the finish on your guitar’s neck if you set the tension too high.
However, if you were to set the tension at the right amount, this shouldn’t damage your guitar when you use your capo.