Creating the perfect sound with your instrument can be a surprising challenge.
Whereas classic musicians such as Queen used alternative methods when creating their iconic A Night AT The Opera album, these sounds can be a little trickier to imitate in person at a gig.
Modern musicians tend to rely on pedal effects to do this work for them, so that they can create different sounds to get the effects that they are after.
A flanger pedal is one of the classic choices for many guitarists. This pedal gives you an iconic whooshing sound, copying and delaying the input signal to make the effect of a whooshing jet plane.
But with so many different types of flanger pedal on the market, how can you be sure that you’ve found the best flanger pedal for your needs?
That’s where I want to help you. I’ve researched and reviewed over 50 different types of flanger pedal to find the best model for your requirements.
I used a strict list of criteria to help me find the 5 best flanger pedals on the market, and reviewed them in more detail for you down below. So let’s take a look at the best flanger pedals!
Taking my choice of top spot is the SONICAKE Modulation Flanger Guitar Pedal. This particular flanger pedal comes with a range of great features to make it a welcome addition to your pedalboard.
It is also super easy to use, and allows you to control all aspects of your flanger effect thanks to the featured knobs.
A feature that I really liked about this flanger pedal when I tested it was that it gives you plenty of bang for your buck.
Not only does this pedal give you the classic flanger effect that you’re after, it will also give you 10 other modes to play with.
This pedal also includes vibrato, chorus, phase, tremolo, univibe, auto wah, bitcrush, and several others so that you can get the best effect for your needs.
This particular flanger pedal includes a buffer bypass circuit. This helps to keep your sound pristine when you use the pedal itself.
So you won’t have to worry about any feedback ruining the sound quality of your new flanger pedal.
- Multiple effects – not only can you use the SONICAKE pedal to create a flanger sound, it can also be used for vibrato, chorus, phaser, and many more
- Buffer bypass circuit – allows you to maintain the pristine sound quality that you’re after
- Easy to use – features a super simple knob to select between the different controls, as well as 3 knobs to adjust the sound
- Complicated – if you’re looking for a flanger specific pedal, you may find this to be on the more complicated end of the spectrum
Also available at…
- 11-Mode Digital Modulation pedal adding multiple Sonic Dimensions to your Tone, providing more Possibilities for your Tonal Palate on the modulation guitar effects pedal
- Chorus, Vibrato, Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, Univibe, Auto Wah, Bitcrush with 3-Knob controls on this modulation pedal
- Tap Tempo Function for Real-time RATE Control on this guitar effects pedal
- Special Design Buffer Bypass Circuit Keeps the Sound Pristine for the modulation pedal
- Working with 9V Center Negative Regular Pedal Power Supply(not included) on this guitar effects pedal
Looking for an affordable flanger pedal so you can get that classic whooshing sound added to your pedalboard? Then the VSN Guitar Flanger Pedal for Analog Flanger Effect is an excellent choice.
This particular flanger pedal is available at a competitive price. It also features a durable construction thanks to the metal shell, so you can rest assured that it will last you for many years to come.
A feature of this flanger pedal that I really liked when I tested it was that it comes in a more compact design. This means that if you need to take it with you to gigs, it won’t take up much room in your guitar case.
So you won’t have to worry about losing out on storage space for other essential pieces of your gig kit.
There’ll be no need to worry about unpleasant feedback with this flanger pedal. It features a true bypass switch so that you can get the clean, clear sound quality that you’re after.
- True bypass switch – works to give you a true tone when using the pedal
- Compact design – won’t take up a lot of space in your gig bag
- Durable – features a high quality metal shell for added durability
- Better for gigs – some customers felt the flanger pedal was on the louder side when used for practice at home
Also available at…
- 🎬1.【Powerful Function】 Vintage analog Flanger pedal with static filtering mode and unique oscillator noise effect.
- 🎬2.【3 Funtion Konbs】There are three function knobs, namely Color, Ranger and Rate. Two models: Filter and Normal.
- 🎬3. 【Good quality】High-quality metal shell, exquisite design, convenient and durable, easy to operate.
- 🎬4. 【Classial Rolling Effect】gental and flat variation, special vibration rumbling noise effect. LED light shows the working status, true transparent tone, you will have rich and special sound.
- 🎬5. 【Easy to carry】This flanger pedal has a small size body, light weight, suitable for out side gigs. The power adapter of the old-fashioned flanger effect is 9V500mA DC output is routside of the negative (not included, please buy it at the VSN store), please feel free to contact us for any questions.
Searching for the classic flanger effect without any added extras to complicate the whole thing? Then the JOYO Classic Flanger Effect Pedal is just the flanger pedal that you need.
This particular flanger pedal focuses purely on the flanger effect, so you can get the high quality sound that you are after.
A feature of this flanger pedal that I really loved when I tested it was that it was super easy to use. It comes with a range of control knobs for you to use, so that you can get the sound quality that you’re after.
You can easily control the delay time, width, speed, and feedback that you get from the pedal to create the perfect flange sound.
I also really liked the fact that this pedal features a true bypass switch. This can help you to cut down on the feedback that the flanger pedal produces when you use it.
Perfect if you want to get that pristine sound for a better performance.
- Easy to use – features a range of control knobs so that you can easily control all aspects of your sound
- Budget friendly – available at a more affordable price than some competitive models
- True bypass wiring – helps you to avoid any unwanted feedback while you use the pedal
- Larger size – not as compact as competitive models
Also available at…
- JOYO Classic Flanger guitar effect pedal, uses the BBD circuit to achieve great metallic flanger sounds, wave like chorus sounds plus rapid tremulous vibratos.
- An affordable but highly effective pedal, and as such it allows any guitar player, beginner intermediate or expert, to dive in (deep) and begin experimenting with the headspace that is sound.
- True Bypass provide transparent tone to keep the best tone quality, aluminium-alloy housing classic stoving varnish finish, stable and strong.
- JOYO is over decade of brand reputation, with the most popular budget pedals, amplifiers, wireless systems, controllers, metronomes, tuners winning the love of global guitarists and inspiring people's music dreams.
- Before playing, please make sure the guitar is fully connected with the pedal. in order to make JOYO pedals work properly and avoiding unexpected noise, we recommend you to purchase an extra JOYO original power adapter, or choose the other reliable brands and make sure it meets the working current requirement of single pedal.
Want to combine multiple functions with affordability? Then the FLAMMA FC05 Mini Modulation Pedal with Chorus Flanger should be your top flanger pedal of choice.
This particular flanger pedal comes with a range of different modes, including flanger, to give you even better value for money. Ideal for those of you who don’t have the budget for multiple pedals on your pedalboard.
A feature of this flanger pedal; that I really loved when I tested it was the fact that it was so easy to use. You can easily select between the 11 different modes, as well as control everything about your sound.
The flanger pedal comes with control, speed, and depth knobs so that you can adjust the different levels of your chosen effect.
This particular pedal also comes with a true bypass function. This works to maintain a true sound, so that you won’t have to worry about any distortion.
It also features a more compact design so that it can easily fit into your kit bag.
- Multiple modes – gives you a range of sound effects including flange
- Highly durable – features a strong, durable metal shell to last you even longer
- True bypass – helps you to avoid any unwanted feedback in your performance
- Sensitive – some customers found the pedal to be on the sensitive side
Also available at…
- 11 high-quality classic modulation effects: Chorus, Flanger, Tremolo, Phaser, Vibrato, Rotary, Liquid, Auto wah, Stutter, Ring, Low bit.
- Full metal shell design makes it more durable.
- Tiny size makes it compact and portable.
- Bright color brings energy to your performance.
- 9V 150mA power supply, Not Included.
If you’re looking for a more compact flanger pedal that you can easily fit into your gig bag, then the MXR M152 Micro Flanger is a solid choice.
This particular flanger pedal features a more compact design so as to aid with portability. It follows the same great design as its larger counterpart the MXR M117 Flanger, but with the same functionality.
A feature that I really liked about the flanger pedal when I tested it was that it comes with a bypass switch.
This allows you to easily maintain a true tone when you bypass the sound, so you won’t have to worry about too much feedback.
This MXR Micro Flanger will be perfect for helping you to achieve the right sound effects for your music.
This particular flanger pedal was super easy to use. It features two main control knobs so that you can easily get the sound quality that you are after.
The speed knob easily allows you to control the rate of cycling that the flanger pedal performs. The regeneration knob lets you control the overall intensity of the flanger effect.
Both of these work to allow you to create the best flanger effect for your needs.
- Compact design – features a much smaller size than its competitive MXR M117 Flanger for easier portability
- Bypass switch – maintains a true tone during bypass
- Easy to use – features a speed knob and a regeneration knob so that you can easily control the intensity of the pedal’s effects
- Pricey – one of the more expensive flanger pedals that I reviewed
Also available at…
- True bypass with LED
- Rate knob
- Regeneration knob
- Footswitch for on/bypass
- All-analog circuitry with bucket brigade technology for warm analog tone
Searching for the best flanger pedal can be a tricky task. If you’ve never bought a flanger pedal before, it can be confusing knowing what to look for to ensure that you are purchasing a quality product.
How can you know what features to prioritize if you’ve never really used a flanger pedal before?
That’s why I’ve put together this handy buyer’s guide. I’ve made sure to include all of the key criteria that I used to select the very best flanger pedals that I have reviewed in more detail above.
So as long as your chosen flanger pedal bears the below factors in mind, you can rest assured that it will be perfect for your needs.
Let’s take a look at everything you need to know about flanger pedals below, or skip ahead to the frequently asked questions.
One of the most important things to look for in a flanger pedal is a model that comes with a bypass switch. Something that can sometimes happen when you use a pedal with your electric guitar is feedback.
This is of course that horrible screeching that comes out of the amp when there’s too much input for the amp to transform into coherent sound.
A bypass switch works to give you the clean, precise sound that you are after. This will reduce the likelihood of feedback when you use your new flanger pedal, which will give you the better sound quality that you need for a gig.
Easy To Use
Of course, you will want to opt for a flanger pedal that will be super easy for you to use. There’s no point in buying your new flanger pedal if it’s going to make your life harder, right?
So you will need to think about the functionality of your new flanger pedal.
The vast majority of models should feature an easy to use design with several control knobs. This will allow you to easily control every aspect of your flange effect, from the speed of the effect, to the overall delay.
There are also other factors that you may wish to look for on your flanger pedal to give you better control of the sound quality.
You should also check to see whether your new flanger pedal will be easy to use with the rest of your gig setup. The easier it will be for you to use, the better it will be in the long run.
When you’re out gigging, the last thing you want to do is drag along a flanger pedal that takes up lots of space in your kit bag.
If you opt for a larger model, this can take away precious room from other important pieces of equipment that you will need to bring with you.
So you should opt for a flanger pedal that features a more compact design. This will make the flanger pedal more portable, which will in turn make your life so much easier.
It will also mean that your new flanger pedal won’t take up much room on your pedalboard. Which will leave you plenty of room for additional pedals should you want to add any more effects to your sound.
A more compact design will be easier to transport as needed, and much easier to store away when you’re not using your flanger pedal.
Once you’ve got the basics covered, you will need to think in terms of durability. You will of course want to buy a flanger pedal that will last you for many years to come.
Even though cheaper models made from cheaper materials may be appealing for your wallet, these won’t be able to stand the test of time. You will also then have to buy twice when they break.
So it will be much better to opt for a flanger pedal that has been designed using sturdy materials. The more durable your flanger pedal is, the longer it will last you over the coming years.
Does your chosen flanger pedal feature a high quality metal shell? This will be far more durable than pedals which use cheaper plastic components.
You will of course need to think about the compatibility of your new flanger pedal. There’s no point in buying the best flanger pedal that money can buy if it’s not going to be usable with your setup.
So you will need to think about how you will connect to your electric guitar and whether you need to buy any additional cable to get the whole thing setup.
If you opt for a flanger pedal that is widely compatible, this should make it suitable to use with a wide variety of parts. You can even opt for models which can be used with other instruments, such as bass guitars.
Lastly, it will be worth thinking about how versatile your flanger pedal is going to be. This will be a crucial factor if you want to have a flanger pedal that will give you more value for your money.
This could even include versatility in terms of using it with several different instruments to get the sound effect that you’re after for your performance.
If you want to get excellent value for your money, you could also opt for a flanger pedal that comes with several other effects.
This will save you from having to purchase multiple pedals to get the sound effect that you are after. It will also free up precious space on your pedalboard.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Flanger Pedal?
The best flanger pedals are:
- SONICAKE Modulation Flanger Guitar Pedal
- VSN Guitar Flanger Pedal for Analog Flanger Effect
- JOYO Classic Flanger Effect Pedal
- FLAMMA FC05 Mini Modulation Pedal with Chorus Flanger
- MXR M152 Micro Flanger
What Is A Flanger Pedal Good For?
The whole point of a flanger pedal is to copy and then delay an original sound. The flanger pedal works to split the sound you create with your electric guitar, then split this into two different signals.
The first signal plays as normal, whereas the copied second signal can be manipulated, then allowed to mix back with the original sound to create that iconic whooshing sound.
You can also use a flanger pedal with bass guitars and other instruments.
How Do I Choose A Flanger Pedal?
There are many different factors that you will need to bear in mind when it comes to choosing the best flanger pedal for your needs.
These will include: whether it comes with a bypass switch; how easy the controls are to use; whether it features a compact design; how durable the flanger pedal is; how compatible it is with your current pedalboard setup; and how versatile it is.