Electronic instruments are no longer seen purely as a second-place alternative to classical instruments. In our modern, technologically advanced society, there is so much to be said for electronic instruments.
They are far from merely a gimmick, or a way to get the younger generation to take an interest in learning an instrument. Electronic instruments are becoming more and more advanced with each passing year, and electronic drum kits are no exception.
They look, feel and sound like a traditional, acoustic drum kit, but have a wider range of options thanks to their digital nature.
Acoustic drum kits are amazing instruments to learn, but they can be painfully loud and difficult to maintain, especially due to their large size. This is where electronic drum kits can come in handy.
If you are looking to invest in an electronic drum kit, it may be a little daunting to do so due to the huge amount of choice available. But have no fear, for we are here to alleviate some of that stress!
We are going to be looking at some of the absolute best choices when it comes to electronic drum kits, as well as offering a handy buyer’s guide to help you on the way to picking out the perfect electronic drum kit to suit your needs.
Best Electronic Drum Set
Alesis offers various different electronic drum kits, and their Nitro Mesh kit is one of the absolute best. The defining feature of this particular kit is the all-mesh drum heads that are used to create an incredibly responsive and thoroughly realistic feeling when playing.
The mesh makes all the difference when it comes to getting that acoustic drum feeling, making it a great choice for those looking for the traditional experience to combine with the versatility of a digital drum kit.
The Nitro Mesh Kit features a premium, eight-piece configuration, with three ten-inch cymbals (one Crash cymbal, one Hi-Hat cymbal, and one Ride cymbal), three eight-inch Tom pads, and an eight-inch dual-zone snare drum, all of which are mesh to emphasize the natural feeling as well as offer a quiet response.
As well as that, the Nitro Mesh Kit also has 40 drum sets – with both traditional and contemporary themes – that are ready to play immediately. These sets feature almost 400 curated cymbal and drum sounds that are built-in.
You can also learn more with the 60 built-in songs that you can play along with, all of which give you the option of a metronome, a sequencer, an auxiliary input, and a performance recording function to emphasize the educational nature of the kit and let you learn at your own pace.
The Nitro Mesh Kit also comes with everything that you will need to get started and jump in straight away, with connection cables, a power supply, drum sticks, and a drum key.
- Mesh drum pads allow for a soft and quiet yet natural drumming feeling.
- 40 sets and 60 tracks to play along with.
- Features such as a sequencer and a performance recorder to help you learn.
- An impressive eight-piece configuration, usually found in higher-end electronic drum kits.
- Well priced for what it offers
- Despite its versatility, it is still aimed more at beginners and so more experienced players may do better with something different.
Also available on Alesis.com
- Feel The Difference Mesh Makes – All mesh electronic drum Kit heads deliver the most realistic, responsive and immersive playing experience drummers demand
- Premium Eight-Piece Drumset - 8 Inch dual-zone snare pad, (3) 8 Inch tom drums and (3) 10 Inch cymbals: ride cymbal, hi-hat, crash w/choke
- In-Demand Sound - Nitro Drum Module with 40 ready-to-play classic and modern drumkits, 60 play-along tracks and 350+ expertly curated Acoustic / Electric drumset sounds
- Powerful Educational Features - 60 built-in play-along tracks, sequencer, metronome, Aux input and performance recorder help to hone and develop your drum skills
- Everything You Need - 4-post aluminium rack, connection cables, drum sticks, drum key and power supply included
Alesis also offers a smaller variation of the electronic drum kit, which is an excellent choice for beginners as well as those who are looking for a portable and mini electronic drum set.
Despite its small nature – measuring at 18.1x 10.2x 5.9 inches (length x width x height), – the CompactKit 4 is an all-in-one mini drum kit with four pads, dedicated headphone output, and a built-in speaker.
The kit is tabletop in nature, with four drum pads that are velocity-sensitive in order to provide the most realistic drum kit experience possible in a compact package.
The digital nature of the CompatKit 4 comes to the fore with its premium sound content and its interactive learning features.
The intuitive music coach feature lets you load up your chosen backing track and play along with the music notes that will appear on the LCD screen.
All you have to do is turn on the music coach, and you can easily start practicing and honing your skills. You can also utilize the built-in-game function to have fun whilst you learn (also accessible with the LCD screen).
You get everything you need to start learning the drums with the CompactKit 4, making it one of the best options when it comes to electronic drum kits.
- Interactive and educational thanks to the LCD screen, the drum coach feature, and the built-in learning game.
- Compact and perfectly portable for drumming on the go!
- An excellent starting point for beginners.
- Velocity-sensitive drum pads for a realistic drumming experience.
- Great value for money.
- The tabletop size but be too small for some.
- More focused on beginners than more experienced players.
Also available on Alesis.com
- All-In-One Drum Set – Ultra-portable 4-pad electronic drum kit with built in speaker and dedicated headphone output for private practice
- Authentic Drum Kit Response – 4 velocity-sensitive electric drum pads ensure to capture every subtle nuance of your performance
- In-Demand Sound - 70 electronic / acoustic drum kit voices, 10 effect voices built in and 50 play-along songs to develop your drum skills
- Powerful, Fun Educational Features – Drum coach feature shows notes on LCD screen and instructs for an intuitive learning experience; game function makes playing and learning drums fun
- Drum Anywhere – Power via included AC adapter or 6 C-cell batteries so you can keep drumming wherever you go
The QoQoba digital drum kit is another portable option that is an excellent choice for those who might want to take the kit to different places. It is relatively well-sized for a smaller option, with seven drum pads.
It also has a wide variety of accessories, including two foot pedals, two headphone cables, drumsticks, a set of foldable headphones, and a micro USB charger. This makes it one of the more versatile portable electronic drum kits.
The QoQoba offers a wide range of dynamic drum sounds and preset songs to drum along to, as well as two built-in speakers.
Those aforementioned headphones are a great way to practice quietly too, and they can easily be connected via the auxiliary jack ports. You can use the headphones in everyday life as well, as they are compatible with both Android and Apple smartphones.
The QoQoba also has ports for a micro USB (which you can use to connect to external speakers or a computer), an MP3 player (so that you can plug it in and play along to your chosen music), and a port for the foot pedals that come with the kit.
This allows for a lot of different uses despite its relatively small size. The drum set also charges very easily, with a rechargeable battery that allows for up to ten hours of play.
One of the most noteworthy features of this drum kit is its ability to be rolled up, thanks to being made from durable, waterproof silicon.
This increases the portability significantly, making it incredibly easy to move around, as you can simply roll it up and tuck it into a bag. This portability combined with the wide range of functions makes for a drum kit that is suitable for all ages and all skill levels.
- Enhanced portability thanks to the roll-up nature of the kit.
- Seven different drum pads.
- Comes with headphones that let you practice quietly.
- Comes with foot pedals.
- Dynamic drum sounds.
- A range of functionalities thanks to the various cable ports.
- Can be used by both beginners and professionals.
- Good value for money.
- Not quite as sturdy as some other options due to the roll-up pad made with silicon and plastic.
- A more casual choice of electronic drum kit.
Also available on QoQoba.com
- [PREMIUM PORTABLE PRACTICE DRUM PAD WITH 1 YR WARRANTY]: QoQoba Electric Drum Set prides itself with high quality plus be rest assured a year warranty comes with. The foldable 7 Drum pads offers lots of true analog drum sounds for the warmest, richest and most dynamic drum sounds possible includes 1 SNARE, 3 TOMS, 1 CRASH, 1 RIDE, 1 HI-HAT 5, Timbres, 8 DEMO preset songs; 3 Rhythms 2 Foot Pedals Great learn as you go practice pad for beginner and a perfect electric drum set for adults
- [HEADPHONES AUX JACK AND 2 BUILT-IN SPEAKER]: QoQoba roll up practice Electronic drum pad set includes a premium headphones that can connect to AUX Jack for night/quiet practice mode or just play anywhere you feel inspired to drum without barriers or disturbing others (with headphones connected). Headphones can also be repurposed as it is also compatible with all phones (Apple/Android)! A Great drum set for kids or late night drum lessons practice pad
- [RECHARGEABLE BATTERY]: QoQoba digital drum set is powered by a rechargeable battery, up to 10 hours playtime per charge. You can take it with you anytime & anywhere after a good charge for outdoor plays, choir practice, studio, music/drum lessons
- [USB MIDI INTERFACE AND GAMES]: With the standard/USB MIDI jack, you can connect the drum to external speakers for family entertainment/gathering performance or to computers for advanced music production or also play games like DTXMania. Great Pro Drum set for Adults needing MIDI features
- [COMPLETE BEGINNER DRUM SET]: Includes all necessary drum kits needed to kick-start learning drums fast. Includes 7 Drum Pads and Sticks (2), Foot Pedals (2), charger, manual etc. Perfect kids Musical Instruments and good musical toy gift for birthday or Christmas
Donner are another brand that is well known for their excellent electronic drum kits, with the DED-100 model being a great choice for beginners.
This particular kit prides itself on staying true to traditional drum sets, sampling real drum sounds, and allowing the user to adjust certain elements of the kit as you would with an acoustic kit, such as making the drum head adjustable for you to test the timbre accordingly.
This is another kit that utilizes mesh drum heads to get that realistic sound as you play and aid you with practice.
Mesh is not only great for a natural, drum-playing feeling, it is also long-lasting thanks to the hoop technology that the thick yet delicate mesh utilizes. This ensures that you won’t have to deal with problems like the material becoming slack or deformation of the mesh.
There are a wide range of musical styles that can be played with this drum kit thanks to the DREAM sampling technology, which allows for the recording of actual instruments and maintains the sound quality whilst avoiding any repetitions or sound delay.
This combined with the realistic mesh pads makes the Donner DED-100 drum kit one of the most natural electronic drum kits, making it perfect for experienced drum players and beginners alike.
This kit comes with a fair amount of items too, including a sound module, an audio input line, drumsticks, a drum key, pedals (one kick pedal and one Hi-Hat pedal), cymbals (one Hi-Hat, one Crash, and one Ride), and – of course – drum pads (three Tom-Tom pads and one Snare pad).
- Suitable for beginners and experienced players.
- Durable mesh drum pads make for a realistic feel that will last longer.
- Adjustable drum heads.
- A range of music styles is available thanks to the DREAM sampling tech that is used in the kit.
- A well-balanced ten-piece drum set.
- Not as portable as some other options.
Also available on Donner.eu
- AWESOME KIT FOR A BEGINNER- Loyal to the acoustic drum sampling of the Real drum, test and adjust the details of each timbre repeatedly, Donner electric drum set making the sound more realistic and excellent, shorten the shock response to the extreme to avoid the sound delay. Donner electric drum kit for adultsCan practice at home or for band performances！
- FEEL THE DIFFERENCE MESH CAN MADE- The electronic drum set with the more delicate 8-inch all mesh drumhead, the feel is close to the real drum, Donner electric drums helping you to practice as a good drummer.
- MORE STABLE＆ SAFE- The electronic drum set with the 10-inch silicone cymbal has a stable and well-distributed tone response at any position of the cymbal. The electric drums with the collapsible iron metal stand is more stable and safe.
- FEATURE-RICH- Donner electric drum set with 200 timbre, 20 demo songs, 20 Preset tones, can be connected to MP3 to play songs. Easy to practice, wearing headphones will not disturb others.
- 💛GIFT IN WINTER- Donner DED-100 electric drum set with 8’’ Tom-tom×3, 8’’ Snare×1, 10’’ Hi-Hat×1, 10’’ Ride ×1, 10’’ Crash×1,8", Kick Pedal×1, Hi-Hat Pedal×1
The Rockjam electronic drum kit is a thoroughly modern option with tons of contemporary features.
Despite this, it still maintains an organic drumming experience thanks to the use of velocity-sensitive mesh that avoids that annoying, rubber like thud that you can sometimes get with electronic drum kits.
The Rockjam also features adjustable cymbals and two foot pedals – both hi-hat and bass pedals – that let you control the kit with ease thanks to the durable rest keeping your foot secure.
There is a lot of variety in terms of what you can play with this drum kit thanks to the drum module it has that has a lot of different features, such as tons of demos, settings for tempo, and around 30 different drum samples to experiment with.
You can connect the drum kit to a variety of devices thanks to the various input and output ports, including an amp jack, a headphone jack, and a midi-output.
- Excellent value.
- Mesh drum pads.
- Various input and output options for connectivity.
- Digital drum module.
- Not a portable option.
Also available at CPC Farnell.com
- Mesh Heads: This electric drum set has four adjustable mesh head velocity sensitive pads
- Inputs & Outputs: The RockJam electronic drum set has USB & Aux inputs in addition to Midi & Headphone Outputs
- Pedals: This electronic drum kit comes with both a bass & hi-hat pedals
- Drum Module: The RockJam electronic drum kit brain has 30 authentic drum kit voices and multiple demo songs
- Toms: This electronic drum set had three high quality Rubber toms
As the name suggests, this electronic drum kit is for entry-level drum enthusiasts, and it is one of the best available kits when it comes to learning for beginners.
Roland- a well-known brand that offers various electronic drum kits – has created a great tool for beginners with this kit.
There are numerous learning features included, such as Coach mode that trains you in important skills such as accuracy and building stamina and speed as you play.
A built-in metronome can help you with your timing too. As well as that, there is also a recording function that can be used to capture your progress and learn as you go, at your own pace.
Play along with your own songs via the mix-in jack, or use the built-in songs that are available with the sound module of the kit.
There are many options available with the sound module, with 15 different drum kit styles that offer various musical genres, such as jazz, EDM, rock, and more.
Mix and match your training methods with different genres to get a more varied style of learning. You can also the built-in USB-MIDI interface to connect to various kinds of music software without the need for any additional hardware.
The electronic elements of the drum kit are easy to use too, with an LED display and a control panel that is self-explanatory and simple.
The Roland Entry kit is also an excellent, space-saving option that features a sturdy and ergonomic design, allowing for functionality as well as style.
It is easily adjustable, able to be sized to accommodate both children and adults. The angles of the cymbals can also be adjusted, as can the angle of the snare pad.
- Adjustable sizes and space-saving.
- A sound module with a wide range of musical styles to reenact.
- A splendid choice for beginners.
- Simple connectivity via the MIDI USB.
- The only Roland model of electronic drum kit that doesn’t utilize a mesh drum head.
Also available at Roland.com
- Acclaimed V-Drums sound and performance in an entry-level set
- Enjoy drumming in any musical style with 15 expressive drum kits
- Space-saving, ergonomic design and stylish looks to suit any room in your home
- Sturdy drum rack with quick and easy height adjustment for every drummer, from kids to adults
- Intuitive user interface for easy operation
When it comes to making a choice of an electronic drum, it can be more than a little difficult to make a decision in regard to which would be the best suited for your personal needs.
This is the case even more so if you are brand new to the drumming scene, so let’s take a look at some of the most crucial elements to consider when searching for the perfect electronic drum kit.
Casual Player, Experienced User, or Determined Student?
The first question that you need to ask yourself is, what it is that you plan to do with an electronic drum kit? The obvious answer is- of course – play it! But what is your end goal?
Are you are a beginner looking for a way to get into drumming without having to go all out on a drum kit? This makes sense, as you don’t want to have to pay for an expensive and large classical drum kit, only to find that it just isn’t the instrument for you.
Are you a casual fan of the drums who wants a hobby to invest some time in? Or are you well versed in the drums and are looking for a new and interesting way to expand your knowledge and hone your skills?
Consider this first before you even start searching through the various electronic drum kits.
Sizing and Weight
This is another important element to consider, as you need to know that you can accommodate the size and weight of the kit before you bring one into your home.
If you are limited in space, look for a more compact electronic drum kit, such as a tabletop option. Weight can also be a deciding factor.
For example, if you live on a top floor apartment and plan to take the drum kit with you to different places, the last thing you want to have to do is be lugging around a heavy kit all the time (even more so if your apartment has an elevator that is prone to breaking down!).
Your living arrangement is certainly a factor that needs to be considered before making your choice.
Setting yourself a budget is a useful way to keep your finances in check when it comes to purchasing an electronic drum kit.
Thankfully, good quality doesn’t always mean ridiculously hefty prices, but there are always going to be companies that sacrifice the quality of a product to cut down on cost, so make sure that you don’t accidentally end up investing in a less than satisfactory kit.
For beginners, it might be useful to spend a little extra more, if you can, on a brand that is well known and has excellent user reviews so that you know you are going to get the best introduction possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Learn The Drums On An Electronic Drum Kit?
The short answer to this is, of course! Electronic drum kits are a great tool that can be a highly effective stepping stone when it comes to learning the acoustic drums.
The method of learning is the same, but there is the benefit of a broader range of customization thanks to the digital nature of an electronic kit.
Are Electronic Drum Kits Loud?
One of the downfalls of an acoustic drum kit is its loud nature. Classical drums have caused many a sleepless night, but this is not going to be the case with an electronic drum kit.
There is often the option to plug in headphones to an electronic kit, allowing the noise to be reduced to the user alone. Even if plugging in headphones isn’t an option, it is certainly a much quieter choice than its noisy, acoustic counterpart.
Electronic drum kits might not be silent, but they aren’t going to be heard all around the neighborhood.
Is It Better For Beginners To Learn On Acoustic Drums Or Electronic Drums?
Whilst both have their advantages when it comes to a beginner drum learner, electronic drums are probably better suited for those that want a more tech-savvy experience – such as being able to record your performance and play it back instantly- whilst acoustic drums will suit those that are intent on having the classical experience that you only really get from an acoustic drum set.
Eduardo Perez is a multi-instrumentalist with over 20 years of experience playing instruments such as piano, guitar, ukulele, and bass. Having arranged songs and produced music in a recording studio, he has a wealth of knowledge to share about analyzing songs, composing, and producing. Currently pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Interdisciplinary Musical Studies at Berklee College School of Music. Featured on Entrepreneur.com. Subscribe to his YouTube channel, or follow him on Instagram.