Why should you have to pay hundreds of dollars on a quality pair of studio headphones just because you want to mix your own music?
To get some of the high end headphones, you’ll end up paying in the region of hundreds of dollars, and in some cases, thousands. Not everyone can afford the same quality headphones as the professionals.
This is where a good quality pair of budget studio headphones will come in handy. These will be able to provide you with the functionality that you need without the massive price tag.
But with so many different types of headphones on the market, how can you be sure that you’ve found the best budget studio headphones?
I’ve done all of the hard work for you so that you don’t have to worry about a thing. I researched and reviewed over 50 different headphones to find the best of the best that the market has to offer.
There’s no need to worry about spending over your budget; I’ve made sure to include a range of budget studio headphones so that you can find the right model for your needs.
So let’s take a look at the best budget studio headphones!
The OneOdio Wired Over Ear Headphones easily earned my spot of top pick.
These particular studio headphones come with a range of features that will make them a great fit for any application. They are highly versatile, so you can use them for whichever music purposes take your fancy.
What I really loved about these headphones when I tested them was that they feature an ergonomic design. The headphones featured a padded headband as well as ear cups.
This made them more comfortable to wear over long periods of time. Ideal if you use your studio headphones for mixing music!
Another feature I really loved about these studio headphones was their sound quality. They have been designed to block out any background noise so you can focus on the music that you’re trying to mix.
They also give you a full range of sound, with clear bass notes and well defined mid tones. The high tones are also super crisp, giving you all of the frequencies that you need.
- Budget friendly – available at a more competitive price compared to some expensive Sony headphones
- Ergonomic design – features soft, padded ear cushions for your comfort
- Clearer bass – delivers the nuanced tones you need for a clearer bass, crisp high tones, and clearer vocals
- Shorter cord – may restrict where you can use it in your studio
Also available at…
- BASS SOUND: Enjoy clear sound and comfort with the OneOdio Studio monitor headphones. Large, 50 millimeter speaker unit drivers combined with neodymium magnets; powerful bass, clear vocal, and crisp high tones form stereo sound
- BUILT TO STAY COMFORTABLE: The soft padded ear cushions are designed for monitor headphones comfort and noise isolation. The headband is adjustable and stretchable for you to find the desired angle you like to fit in
- NO MORE ADAPTER: DJ style coiled cord (9.8Ft Stretched) easily reaches from the TV or stereo to your chair. A standard-sized 6.35mm plug and a 3.5mm plug are included. They both are completely detachable, you can plug in the mixer you want to use
- SINGLE-SIDE MONITORING: 90° swiveling ear cups for single-ear monitoring anytime; self-adjustable and flexible headband delivers a fatigue-free listening experience that can last for hours, ideal for mastering and mixing
- Works with: All devices have 3.5mm or 6.35mm audio jack. Bass sound, durability, and comfort. These are the headphones you've been looking for
Although these Audio-Technica ATH-M20X Professional Studio Monitor Headphones are slightly pricier than the other headphones I’ve reviewed on this list, they will be worth the investment.
They still clock in at a fairly budget price compared to some Sony styles, and give you the high quality sound that you’re after.
What I really loved about these headphones when I tested them was that you can really tell they are high quality.
Audio-Technica makes use of high quality components so that your headphones will last you for many years to come.
This advanced built quality also ensures that you get the high quality sound that you expect from this brand.
You’ll get the full range of sound that you need from these budget studio headphones. They feature the lower frequencies that you need so that you can hear those bass notes.
- High quality – features a range of high quality components for longevity
- Lower frequencies – designed to better cope with lower frequencies to give you a full spectrum of sound
- Wired headphones – gives you the clarity that you need from a pair of studio headphones
- Longer cable – you may need to account for the longer cable when moving around your studio
Also available at…
- Advanced build quality and engineering Designed for studio tracking and mixing
- 40 millimeter drivers with rare earth magnets and copper clad aluminum wire voice coils
- Tune for enhanced low frequency performance
- Circumaural design contours around the ears for excellent sound isolation in loud environments
- Convenient single side cable exit Magnet neodymium Designed for studio tracking and mixing
If budget is your main concern, then you should consider these Tascam TH-02 Closed Back Studio Headphones. These particular budget studio headphones are available for a highly competitive price.
So you can get a pair of functional headphones without having to spend a small fortune. They will also give you the high sound quality that you’re after thanks to the closed back, wired design.
A feature that I really liked about these headphones when I tested them was that they are foldable.
This makes the headphones more compact if you need to transport them. Super handy if you want more portable headphones!
You won’t have to worry about these headphones becoming uncomfortable to wear over long periods of time.
They feature an ergonomic design, with padded ear cups and a padded headband. This will make the headphones more comfortable to wear for hours on end.
- Budget friendly – available at a more competitive price compared to some of the more expensive studio headphones
- Compact – features a folding design for easier portability
- Ergonomic design – comes with a padded headband and ear pads for your comfort
- Longevity – the earpads will need replacing over time as they become more worn
Also available at…
- Foldable design for easy, compact transport
- Tightly-stitched, padded headband and ear pads for stylish comfort
- Closed-back dynamic design with clean sound, rich bass response and crisp highs
- Snap-on 1/8” (3.5 millimeter) to 1/4” (6.3 millimeter) adapter
The SENNHEISER HD 206 Closed-Back Over Ear Headphones give you the perfect blend of meeting your budget without sacrificing on functionality.
These particular headphones give you the high quality sound that you’re after thanks to the wired, closed back design.
This closed design also gives you sound isolation, so you won’t have to worry about background noise hampering your experience.
A factor that I really loved about these headphones when I tested them was their ergonomic design. These headphones featured padded ear cups and a padded headband.
This made them super comfortable to wear over longer periods of time.
You won’t have to worry about these headphones letting you down. They are widely compatible with a range of technology, so you can easily use them for a variety of applications in your studio.
Perfect if you’re looking for a highly compatible set of headphones that you can rely on!
- Wired headphones – will give you the clear sound that you’re after for more accurate mixing
- Ergonomic – features a lightweight, more comfortable design for long periods of use
- Versatile – can be used with a wide variety of technology including computers, cell phones, tablets, and more
- Sturdiness – some customers felt the design could have been more robust
Also available at…
- Closed back design provides passive noise isolation and prevents sound from bleeding into adjacent microphones when home recording. Connectivity Technology: Wired
- Lightweight and comfortable designed ideal for long listening, studio or DJ sessions
- 24 ohm impedance provides compatibility with cell phones, tablets, computers, portable audio players and studio recorders
- 1/8 inch plug (3.5 millimeter) with 1/4 inch (6.3 millimeter)) adapter included
The Neewer NW-3000 Closed Studio Headphones is another solid choice if you’re looking for a high quality pair of budget studio headphones.
These particular headphones are available at a competitive price. So you won’t have to worry about them breaking the bank! They also don’t skimp on the sound quality.
What I really loved about these budget studio headphones is that you can immediately tell they are of a higher quality.
These headphones have been constructed using a 45mm large-aperture driver, earth magnets, as well as copper-clad aluminum wire voice coils.
These components work to give you the full range of sound that you are after from your studio headphones.
Another factor to consider is that these headphones are super comfortable to wear. These feature soft, memory foam cushions for added comfort.
The headband is also padded to make the headphones more comfortable to wear over long periods of time.
You can also twist the ear cups to a 180 degree angle so that you can use single ear monitoring in your studio.
- High quality – features high quality components to give you an impressive range of sound
- Comfortable – comes with an ergonomic design using memory foam cushions for added comfort
- Flexible ear cups – easily rotate the ear cups 180 degrees to easier single ear monitoring
- Background noise – doesn’t feature noise canceling technology
Also available at…
- IMPRESSIVE SOUND QUALITY: Precise closed cavity structure; Newest designed 45mm large-aperture driver with rare earth magnets and copper-clad aluminum wire voice coils to provide wider dynamic range and make sure safe and stable output even meet instant high power; Circumaural design contours around the ears for excellent sound isolation in loud environments
- COMFORTABLE USE: Super soft memory foam cushions and PU leather material simulate human skin texture, ensuring lasting comfort; The softly padded headband allows you to find the perfect fit without constraint for long time wearing
- GREAT FLEXIBILITY: 180 degree rotatable earcups are easy for single ear monitoring; Stainless steel slider with scale is easy to adjust enough to find perfect comfort position
- DETACHABLE CABLE FOR WIDE APPLICATION: 3 meters Straight Cable, 1.2-3 meters Coiled Cable, 1/4inch-6.3mm adapter with durable screw-on plug are included to meet your needs on PC, Cell Phones, TV, etc.; Perfect for music appreciating, watching movies, playing games, piano and personal recording, etc
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY: Includes 1 year Newer limited warranty and Life-time e-mail Customer Support
Trying to find the best budget studio headphones can be a real challenge. There are so many different factors that you will need to consider.
But how can you tell which features you should prioritize if you’ve never had to buy budget studio headphones before?
Should you simply opt for the cheapest pair of headphones that you can find, or should you think about other factors before making your final decision?
I’ve put together this handy buyer’s guide to help you in the decision making process.
I’ve made sure to include all of the factors that I used to select the best budget studio headphones that I’ve reviewed in more detail above.
So as long as your chosen headphones bear the below factors in mind, you can rest assured that they will be perfect for your needs.
Let’s take a look at everything you need to know about budget studio headphones, or skip ahead to the frequently asked questions.
If you’re opting for a pair of budget studio headphones, then of course the most important factor that you will need to consider is the budget you have in mind.
I’ve made sure to select a range of headphones above that will be suitable for a range of different budgets.
Just because you can’t afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a pair of headphones doesn’t mean that you need to skimp on quality.
Consider how much you would be willing to spend on a pair of headphones.
You will also need to consider which essential features you will need from your headphones in order to get on with your work in the studio.
There’s no point in opting for the cheapest pair of headphones you can find if they won’t be able to complete the job at hand.
Once you have selected your essential features (cable length, frequencies, ergonomic design), you will be in a better place to select the headphones you need.
It will always be better to opt for the best quality headphones that you can reasonably afford, as these will be of a much better quality than a simple $5 pair that will likely break within a week.
One of the most important factors to consider when it comes to choosing the best budget studio headphones is how ergonomic they are.
Whether you’re using these for personal or professional use, you will want to select a set of headphones that will be super comfortable for you to wear.
Make sure that you select a pair of headphones that feature soft, padded ear cups. These will protect your ears when you wear the headphones for long periods of time.
If you opt for headphones without padded ear coverings, these will start to hurt after you’ve been wearing them for more than half an hour.
Another factor to consider is whether your chosen headphones come with an adjustable headband. This will allow you to adjust the distance between the ear cups so that they better fit your head.
So you’ll be able to properly use the headphones rather than have to compensate for them being too large or getting a headache because they’re too small.
Wired VS Wireless
Another important decision to make is whether you opt for wired or wireless headphones.
Personally, I would avoid using wireless headphones for mixing music as you won’t be able to get all of the nuances in tone that you need.
The vast majority of wireless headphones tend to miss out certain frequencies, so you will notice that the lower bass tones won’t be as prominent. Because of the wireless connection, some of the details will get lost in translation.
I would recommend opting for a set of wired headphones out of the two. This will give you the crystal clear music that you’re after, and will allow you to mix your music much better.
Wired headphones will give you all the frequencies that you need for a fully rounded sound.
Remember to think of other practicalities such as the length of the headphone cable.
It will be better to opt for a longer cable so that you can easily move between all of your equipment while still being able to hear the music you are trying to mix.
Of course you will also need to consider the compatibility of your chosen budget studio headphones.
This will feature things such as the jack size, the length of the cable, and whether it will be compatible with your software.
There’s no point in buying the best budget studio headphones if you can’t actually use them for their intended purpose!
The most important factor to remember is the jack size of your chosen headphones. You will need to ensure that they are compatible with your setup to save you from having to buy an adapter.
The good news is that the vast majority of studio headphones are widely compatible.
It will just be important to make sure that you select one of these as opposed to a more nice set of headphones that you can’t use with your setup.
Now this may seem a bit of a moot point when you’re opting for a pair of budget headphones.
Of course, you’re not going to get the same level of quality as if you were able to sink a couple of hundred dollars on your studio headphones.
But you should still consider the quality of your chosen headphones when it comes to making your selection.
Obviously, the better the quality of your chosen budget studio headphones, the longer that they will last you. So you will need to opt for the best quality headphones that you can reasonably afford.
You should ensure that your chosen studio headphones tick all of your other boxes, including giving you a full spectrum of sound, being comfortable to wear, and that they fit within your chosen budget.
Make sure to select a pair of headphones that have been made with durable components.
You can also opt for a set of headphones that features replaceable parts so you can easily replace things that might break over time.
Lastly, you will need to think about the frequencies that your headphones are able to cover.
In order to get a fully rounded sound, you will need to choose headphones that are able to cope with several different frequencies.
Not every budget headphone is going to be able to give you the detailed bass notes that you need.
Make sure to opt for a set of budget studio headphones that give you good coverage for low, mid, and high tones. This will give you the more accurate sound that you’re after.
Frequently asked questions
What Type Of Headphones Are Best For The Studio?
The best type of headphones for the studio are over ear wired headphones. These will give you the crystal clarity that you need in order to hear all of the nuanced frequencies in the music that you are trying to mix.
The best headphones for use in the studio are:
- OneOdio Wired Over Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-M20X Professional Studio Monitor Headphones
- Tascam TH-02 Closed Back Studio Headphones
- SENNHEISER HD 206 Closed-Back Over Ear Headphones
- Neewer NW-3000 Closed Studio Headphones
Are Bluetooth Headphones Good For The Studio?
No, Bluetooth headphones aren’t the best fit for use in the studio. This is because they won’t be able to give you the crystal clear sound that you need in order to mix music properly.
For mixing music in the studio, you should opt for a good quality pair of wired headphones.
These will give you the clarity of sound that you need in order to make high quality music and hear all of the nuances you need to.
Are Beats Good For Music Production?
No, beats are not good for music production. This is because they don’t accurately reflect the sound of the music itself.
So if you were to rely on your beats to mix your music, you wouldn’t hear the same thing that is actually being played on the recording.
If you opt for a high quality pair of wired headphones, you will be able to get the accurate sound that you need to mix music properly.