One of the most common questions that potential beginner guitar players have about the process is, how long does it take to learn guitar?
The answer to that question depends on a few factors:
- Your personal definition of being a “guitar player”
- The level of advancement or competency you wish to achieve
- How much time you have to dedicate to the craft
- The goals you want to achieve
- The tools available to you for learning
- Baseline of musical knowledge
Even with those parameters defined, it is difficult to accurately pinpoint the moment you have learned guitar. For some people the moment they are able to play through a song is their version of success. For others, it might be learning all the chords or mastering the scales.